Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

What are some household things toxic and bad to dogs?

We all know that dogs love to eat and chew on things that they aren't necessarily supposed to. Our Ocala vets explain the signs and symptoms that your dog has been poisoned by something they've eaten, so you can get them the help they need as quickly as possible.

Dog Poisoning

Unintentional poisoning is the most common cause of dog poisoning. Our family pets frequently get into things they shouldn't, leaving loving dog owners panicked and unsure what to do.

In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or even just eaten treats that just aren't suitable for dog metabolisms.

Common Household Items Poisonous to Dogs

Your home and garden are filled with items that could be toxic or poisonous to your dog. That is why it is critical to know where your dog is at all times and to keep potentially harmful substances out of your curious dog's reach.

So what is poisonous to dogs? Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Laundry detergent
  • Tylenol
  • Alcohol
  • Gasoline
  • Tobacco
  • Furniture polish
  • Drain cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Snail, slug, or rodent poisons
  • Fungi
  • Yew trees
  • Acorns
  • Spring bulbs

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

The early signs and symptoms of dog poisoning vary greatly depending on the type of poison. The following are some common signs and symptoms of poisoning in your dog:

  • Excessive bruising or bleeding
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unsteady on feet
  • Abnormal heartbeat
  • Drooling
  • Oral irritation
  • Pale gums
  • Inability to urinate
  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Diarrhoea
  • Kidney failure

It's important to note that the symptoms of poisoning typically take several days to appear, and in some cases could even take months.

Long-Term Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

If you know that your dog has eaten something poisonous it is essential to seek emergency care immediately. The fact that your dog doesn't display any symptoms right away does not mean that they are safe from the effects of the poisonous substance!

A dog exposed to poisonous substances may experience long-term symptoms like irregular heartbeat, kidney failure, liver damage, blood loss, and neurological symptoms like seizures.

What To Do If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

If your dog has been poisoned it is important to stay calm and call your emergency vet immediately.

Make sure to get your dog well away from the poisonous substance. If your dog got into it once, it may head right back to it while you are on the phone. Safely move the substance well out of your dog's reach.

Don't attempt to give your dog first aid. Different poisonous substances call for various responses. While inducing vomiting might be necessary in some circumstances, it also has the potential to make your dog sicker. Bring your dog to the veterinarian as soon as you can, and allow the veterinary staff to provide the necessary care.

If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office. The packaging will help your vet to get a full understanding of the situation, and how best to treat your dog.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If your dog is experiencing any symptoms of poisoning, contact our Ocala vets right away.

Dog Wellnes Exams at Paddock Park Animal Care Center

New Patients Welcome

Paddock Park Animal Care Center always accepts new patients! Our team of experienced vets are passionate about pet health in Ocala and beyond. We welcome you and your beloved pet to our veterinary family.

Request Appointment

Contact (352) 237-4176